Monday, December 17, 2007

Pit Karma

We found this posted by a user at http://www.buzznet.com/ This speaks so much truth. This is the holy grail of concert guidelines right here.

Original Post

Savannah's Guide To Pit Etiquette

If you've ever gone to a concert with me you probably know that I try to be as polite as possible to the people around me. "Why?", you may ask. Because I am a firm believer in pit karma. I believe that if I am rude to some random girl at a concert then the next time I am at a concert then I will be fucked twice as bad. I don't know why I'm in this state of mind but it's just something I do. Haha, a random quirk of mine. =)

With my little experience with concerts in the past years I've learned two simple things-
1. Girls can be bitches. You can laugh all you want but I mean it. Suddenly the nice looking lady next to you can transform into a mean, strong person who is rude and obnoxious when the "hawt" band members come onstage.
2. People are selfish jerks sometimes.

These two facts have lead me to strive to create...

Savannah's Guide to Pit Etiquette
If you're going to to be the pit, follow these rules of etiquette! ;)

*Please note this is created partly in jest. These things might annoy me but I am not trying to sound like a controlling, no fun, vain, "Everyone-should-do-follow-my-rules" bi*ch. I'm not saying that I know everything. Please be amused while reading this and reminisce about the past concerts you have gone to when you have experienced all these things first hand. And please don't think I'm a jerk/loser/etc. for posting this please. As I said this is partly in jest.

Ok, without further ado- I give you...

Savannah's Guide To Pit Etiquette

1. Don't scream the lyrics when you can't carry a tune to save your life. We have all met these people. The obnoxious girl who belts out the words in a loud and very off key voice, often drowning out the singers voice. We didnt come here to here YOU sing honey! We came to listen to the band play so please tone it down and save the karaoke for the privacy of your bedroom. This happened to me at my Fall Out Boy concert and I almost had a fit. The girl next to me was screaming (not even singing but screaming!) out the words to a FOB song in a loud voice that sounded like a cat dying while being sucked up by a vacuum cleaner- right in my ear.. It was not pleasant at all. And she was drowning out Patricks voice, which is saying a lot considering that I was in the front row right near the amp. Please people who do this- don't. It is very annoying and uncomfortable for everyone around you.

2. Don't be a dreaded FANGIRL! Dun, dun, duuunnn! Now I'm not talking about people who are actually fans of the band. I'm talking about the girls who are here just because the guitarist/lead singer/bassist/drummer/*insert band position here* is, quote, "omgz so totally hawt!". These girls obviously don't know anything about the band but desperately NEED to be in the front. I encountered MANY of these girls at my All Time Low concert. The girls who deck themselves out in the slutty outfits and hope to be noticed by the band members while they claw at the surrounding girls (aka the "competition"). They couldn't tell you a single song by the artist or hum a single tune but suddenly they are the bands BIGGEST fans and they just HAVE to be as close to the cutie they have their eye on or the world will end. And they didn't care who they trampled to get to them. One girl was literally trying to climb over me when All Time Low was playing. It's insane.

3. Don't get there late and except to get to the front row. C'mon people this is just common courtesy! Of you arrive at the venue 5 minutes before the band you like starts to play, don't assume that you deserve to be in the front row. The people in the front row have waited in line for hours to see this band and you can't just storm in and expect everyone to move out of your way.

4. If you are a guy don't try to crowd surf at a concert when the crowd is 95% teenaged girls. Yea, good luck with that happening kid... I don't get why 200 pound guys think they can be held up by the skinny, lightweight teenaged girls in the crowd. I was amazed when this happened at my Boys Like Girls concert. Uhh... hello? Obviously the 13 year olds or the girls checking out Alex can't hold the 6 foot 9 guys up in the air.

5. Don't push the people in front of you when people are already smushed together. The people in front of you who are pushed up against the barrier can't go anywhere! There is no more room! Which means you pushing them does nothing but annoy them. Use common sense please. No space = no where for them to go = you being really annoying while you crush them.

6. If you don't like the band then don't stand in a prime spot for moshing/viewing the concert. This happened when I went to my This Providence concert at The Living Room, a very tiny venue. There were these four big girls standing in front of my with their coach purses hanging from their manicured hands and their arms folded snootily across their chest. They had no cameras, no excitement for the band, and obviously didn't like This Providence's music because they weren't even looking at the stage! They hadn't been there for any other band and just shoved in front of me and my friend. My friend, because she is pushy and I love her for it, managed to slip in front of them and not be stuck behind them but, alas!, I was not so lucky. But me and the guy next to me spent the night dancing and singing and snapping pictures together of the band together and rolled out eyes at the girls.

7. Don't shove people for no reason. This happened to me at my TAI concert. There was this obnoxious girl who was pushing people for no reason at all besides for fun. She wasn't trying get ahead in the pit or anything, she was just being a jerk. After she knocked into my shy friend a few times repeatedly I swing around, pissed off now because she is disrupting the concert, politely told her to please stop acting like that because she was hitting my friend, accompanied with a "if-you-don't-stop-I-will-make-you-stop glare". She just looked at me and replied in a snotty voice, "It's a fucking rock concert, people are supposed to fucking do this". Well, apparently the pit guard didn't agree with her because he came over and gave her an earful and threatened to throw her and her friends out if they kept up their antics.

So when you are at your next concert and go to do one of these things think twice and think about how you would feel if someone did it to you.

No comments: